× Discuss techniques and tips.
Here’s where new Breeders can get advice from experienced Ranchers.

Identification of Ostrich

BigBirdGuy replied the topic: Identification of Ostrich

If you're using DNA to just sex, you might want to save your money because they will begin to color out starting as early as 11 months. The Roosters will get a little pink in the beak and have a few dark feathers leaning towards black. If you are using DNA to insure the relationship because the parents are unknown than DNA is a good idea to prevent the breeding of siblings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: memb262830

user524565 replied the topic: Identification of Ostrich

I use NASCO and I order rubber adjustable leg tags. They come in colors and numbers You should order both the small and large sizes because at the current age you would need small and in just a few months you will be replacing with the large ones. You might want to also order what they call (I think) a knife. It's not really a knife, but a rounded edge you use to insert and adjust the bands. A small screw driver can also be used, but I think their knife is easier and less chance of scraping the bird.
The following user(s) said Thank You: memb262830

memb262830 created the topic: Identification of Ostrich

I have had my Ostrich chicks a few weeks now and am having entirely too much fun with them.
They are approximately 5 months old and growing fast.

Where can I get leg bands for Ostrich size legs? Or how do I identify the birds?
I plan on DNA sexing them soon and need a way to tell who is who when I get the results back.

Thank you in advance!
Moderators: BigBirdGuy