Interesting Facts from the
American Ostrich Association
Frequently Asked Questions are those we see over and over again. We thought to group them here in one spot where poeple could find information quickly and easily. If you don't see your question here, please post it on the Message Board.
- To what family do Ostrich belong ?
- Ostriches are of the Ratite family, which means flightless bird.
- What is the largest living bird in the world?
- The Ostrich is the largest living bird in the world.
- Where are Ostrich normally found?
- The Ostrich is native to Africa, yet thrives in countries all over the world.
- How big do Ostriches get?
- Adult males are eight to nine feet in height and weigh 350-400 pounds. Females will weigh up to 300-350 pounds.
- Are there special names for male and female Ostrich?
- A male Ostrich is called a rooster or a cock and a female Ostrich is called a hen.
- How do you tell males from females?
- The male is black with white wing tips and tail plumes. The female has light brown and gray plumage and is slightly smaller than the male. When in season, the males will have bright red beaks, shins and sometimes neck. The hens will turn a silvery gray when in season.
- Is there any thing that makes Ostriches unique from all other birds, besides not being able to fly?
- This great bird only has two toes, all other birds have three or four toes.
- How fast can Ostriches run?
- The Ostrich can run at speeds of up to 40 MPH for sustained times.
- How long does an Ostrich live?
- An Ostrich will live to be 50 - 75 years old.
About Ostrich Eggs
- How big are Ostrich eggs?
- Although an ostrich egg is the largest of all eggs, it is the smallest egg in relation to the size of the bird. The Ostrich egg will weigh 1600 - 2300 gm (about 3.5 to 5 pounds) and is equivalent in volume to 2 dozen chicken eggs.
- How many eggs do Ostriches lay?
- An Ostrich Hen can lay 40 - 100 eggs per year, averaging about 60 eggs per year.
- How long does it take Ostrich eggs to hatch?
- Ostrich eggs hatch in 42 days.
- How fast do Ostriches grow?
- An Ostrich chick grows one foot taller each month until it is 7-8 months old.
- Who hatches the Ostrich eggs?
- Generally, Females sit on eggs by day; males sit on eggs by night.
Other Ostrich Answers
- How long does it take to cook Ostrich eggs?
- To soft boil a fresh egg would take one hour. To hard boil would take 1 1/2 hours.
- Do people really raise Ostriches like other food animals?
- Ostrich meat is heart healthy!
- Ostriches are very feed efficient and take minimal land.
- Ostrich farming is a viable alternative agricultural industry, with fine quality leather, feathers and gourmet meat as the principal products. Ostrich farming is now being done in countries all over the world including (but not limited to) China, Taiwan, India, Japan, Vietnam, Iran, Iraq, Isreal, United Kingdom, France, Canada, Mexico, Bazil, Costa Rica, and others.
Please feel free to contact the AOA with any other questions you might have, or post them on our Message Board.
© 2005 Ostriches Org. All rights reserved. Page design